January 5, 2022
TyreDox – For longer lasting tyres
As we head towards the dark, colder days of winter, you may be starting to think about tucking your pride and joy away safely until the spring. If so, the latest storage product from TyreDox is certainly worth a look.
Created by 2 self-proclaimed petrol heads, Sam Ellis, and Ben Ashton, the TyreDox concept was developed whilst working as Aston Martin specialists at one of the country’s leading dealerships.
“We saw that customers were regularly replacing expensive tyres, despite little use and often with really modest mileage,” said Sam Ellis, who at 24, is the youngest ever Concours Judge for The Aston Martins Owners Club.
With less than optimum vehicle storage and a lack of regular movement, tyres can misshapen, with the potential of ovalisation, flat spots, and a perishing of their structure leading to early replacement. With performance and specialist tyres now upwards of £250 a piece, and specialists often preferring to replace in pairs, it can get very expensive very quickly!
In addition to the potential for tyre damage, leaving the handbrake on during long term storage can potentially risk fusing the brake pads to the discs, clearly far from ideal.
‘Having researched the existing solutions, we were surprised to learn that they were sometimes expensive, often poorly designed and occasionally just plain ineffective,” says Sam, “so we decided a fresh approach was needed”.
Made in the UK from 93% recycled crumb rubber, TyreDox’s clever shape integrates a grooved ramp for maximum grip, leading to a carefully designed concave cushion. It’s the surface of this cushion which follows the contour of the tyre, significantly increasing the contact area to spread the load.
“We wanted to deliver a positive feel when the vehicle is correctly located’ says Ben. “Enabling it to be stored without engaging the handbrake to avoid stretched cables, linkages and sticking brake pads was a key part of our design considerations”.
You can expect a set of TyreDox to cost less than a single premium tyre. Weighing in at over 7kg each they’re going to last too! They have integrated handles to hang out of the way when not in use.
You can see more at TyreDox or ask at your specialist storage provider.
By applying smart design, appropriate material technology and a practical ‘“hands on” understanding of the issues this led to the creation of TyreDox.
Materials and process
• High density, homogenous moulded rubber
• 93 to 95% crumb rubber, recovered from commercial tyres
graded and selected for compound moulding
• Compound auto mixed with blended resins for consistent coating of granules
• Pressed at 80 tonnes at a temperature of 100°
• 620mm – 24” Long for maximum surface grip
• 355mm – 14” wide for broadest range of tyres
• 75mm – 3” high end stop for optimum clearance and secure ‘location feel’
• 275mm – 11” multi ridged ramp with 8-degree lead for optimum grip and a gentle approach
• 360mm – 30” concave cushion seat with built in ‘give’ for maximum load spread
• 7.3kg -16lbs weight per Tyredox for maximum stability and durability
Suitable for all tyres upto 14” wide
• Note – Due to the nature of the moulding process sizes may vary slightly